Subject: Re: MicroVAX I kernel..
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/02/1998 17:54:11
Hey, Alison...

> <It has two 50-pin connectors in the behind and very long cables. could i
> <be a scsi card? there is a 16MHz crystal oscillator and a chip which has
> <label 'TC0310201-SSD'. does uVAX I support SCSI?
>
> sounds like an 8port serial card like the DHV11.  The MicroVAX-I didn't
> support SCSI nor did any DEC system at that time.  The common disk
> controller was the RQDX2 with a RD52 or RD53 MFM drive and a RX50 dual
> floppy.

Duh? What do you mean "didn't" support SCSI? Since when did support for a
specific disk technology get included in the CPU?

The answer should have been; Yes, you can have a SCSI-controller on the
VAX, but it's more likely that this is something else.

Digital didn't have any SCSI controllers for a lot of years after this
machine was introduced, but that don't mean much in the context of wether
you *could* have a SCSI-controller on the machine. Nowadays both CMD, DEC
and some other manufacturers have SCSI-controllers for this machine.

	Johnny