Subject: Re: US vs European PS requirements.
To: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/1998 11:06:53
On Sun, 31 May 1998, Paul Apprich wrote:

> Tne newer supplies are auto-ranging. Look for the one primary filter cap
> (the largest one on the board). If it is rated for 400 VDC or above, OR it
> has two cascaded >=200VDC filter caps, it is also auto-ranging. If it only
> has one primary filter cap rated at ~200/250VDC then it is for domestic
> (USA/CANADA) consumption.

The VS3100/M38 PS has two caps, rated at 250VDC each.  I'm presuming the
the other VS3100's are fairly similar.  Now I've just got to find a way
to test it :-)  Hmmmm, I think I have 220VAC washer and dryer hookups
around here somewhere. I also noticed that the M38's supply was rated at
348W which seems pretty impressive considering the VS3100's small size.
But then maybe this is because they used the same PS in the roomier M48 as
well.

The VS2000's label only states support of 110-120VAC, but I'll have a look
inside to see what options may exist.

Thanks to everyone for the responses on this question.

-brian.
---