Subject: Re: MicroVAX I kernel..
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/1998 22:45:29
<It has two 50-pin connectors in the behind and very long cables. could i
<be a scsi card? there is a 16MHz crystal oscillator and a chip which has
<label 'TC0310201-SSD'. does uVAX I support SCSI?

sounds like an 8port serial card like the DHV11.  The MicroVAX-I didn't
support SCSI nor did any DEC system at that time.  The common disk
controller was the RQDX2 with a RD52 or RD53 MFM drive and a RX50 dual
floppy.

<Err.. so it has more stuff than uVAX II? or does uVAX II have all the
<floating instructions? do we need to write some floating-point emulation

No less.  The MicroVAX-i was severly brain damaged enough that the first
version of VMS to run on it and later ones had special support.  It was
the most minimal vax of all.

<> > It has two 4mb memory cards and two 1mb ones.. this is odd. Shouldn't
<> > support more than 4mb? and in my configuration it has 10? dunno.. But

It was limited to 4MB.  The address bus was 22bits no cheating.

<Btw, what is the CPU clock frequency for this machine? I understood that
<it is not many MHz's.. and all technical information is welcome.

SLOW!  Of all the vaxen is was the slowest and even lowly PDP-11/23s
and 11/730s beat the pants off it.  It's only feature was a prediction
of the microvaxen in the next generation.  As a VAX itself it was really
sold to get everyone warmed up for the MicroVAX-II which was a bit late.
Performance wise it convinced a lot of people to hold on to their PDP-11s
a bit longer.

Allison