Subject: Re: Anyone running on VS2000 w/small memory?
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/1998 13:42:38
Just a follow-up summary on my adventures with the 6Meg VS2000s.

Ultimately, I was able to boot the machines both in single-user mode and a
stripped down multi-user mode.  So I think the problems I'd experienced
were either memory related, or with one of the daemons I'd disabled in
/etc/rc.conf.  I did find that in the stripped down multi-user mode I was
able to run sizeable tasks which swapped okay to the NFS mounted swap
file.  The majority of my testing above was done with the January kernel.

I've done some testing with Ragge's new kernel as well on the VS2000s. The
new serial console driver and the ethernet support works well, but the
kernel did eventually panic.  Given the various other problems I'd been
experienceing with these VS2000s, I suggest someone else give the new
kernel a try as well -- someone with more memory on their system :-)

Also one correction, in previous messages under this subject I said that I
was using the 1.3A, 16 Jan 1998 kernel.  That should actually be just the
1.3, 16 Jan 1998 kernel (i.e. the one that came with the official 1.3
release).

-brian.
---