Subject: VS3100 stuff..
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/04/1998 13:24:28
Hi,

I'm booting the gennetbsd kernel via mop fine, but I'm getting the well
known le0: device timeout, and SCSI only partially works.. (eg it detects
the drive then gets the also well known SCSI DMA timeout).. Apart from
these two problems (and another one to do with setting the clock), it
works.

Now, eager to fix this I delved through the mailing list and found
a reference to multivac.ludd.luth.se.  I grabbed the new bootloaders and
the netbsd kernel that was there, backed up the old kernel and rebooted
the vax.  Heres what happens:

(netbsd copyright message)
realmem = 8267776
avail mem = 5255168
Using 403 buffers containing 412672 bytes of memory.
backplane0 (root)
cpu0 at backplane0: MicroVAX 3100 (KA41) (actually its a KA42-B) ;)
vsbus0 at backplane0
ln0 at vsbus0
ln0: address 08:00:2b:16:45:50
boot device: ln0
nfs_boot?l?nintr r0 2b3 (the ? are actually backwards)
Tran?ln_start

(a screenful or so of these)
ln_start
stickat -60 bytes
lnintr r0 2b3
Transmit Interrupt

revarp failed, error=51
no file system for ln0
cannot mount root, error = 79
root device (default ln0): ln0: device timeout
ln_init
inittbl 801e9400
ln_start

if I press enter it then goes:

ln_start
stickat -60 bytes
lnintr r0 2b3
Transmit interrupt
(repeated a fair few times)

I hope this means something to you.. :) Is this something that is fixed
already? I would just like to have a kernel that boots, and supports SCSI
and the ethernet without the timeouts.. That would be nice.. How far away
is this from reality? Or is this already so?

Any input would be certainly appreciated. :)

Regards,

Dave.