Subject: Re: install on VS3100/M30
To: S. Ryan Quick <ryan@phaedo.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/26/1998 11:59:38
On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, S. Ryan Quick wrote:

> I had something of the same problem in that I never bothered to get the
> crazy MJ4 (I believe) connector from somewhere so I could get a console
> login at all.  Simply edit the requisite /etc files (ttys and the like)
> to enable multiuser mode on your bootparam server and you should be able
> to get in remotely...

A quick hack for those who want a console cable for the VS3100 and I'd
imagine other MMJ consoled systems:  Get a standard 4 or 6 wire phone
cable, sheer the plastic latches off, and voila! -- instant console cable.
(Somewhat prone to falling or getting knocked out, but VERY inexpensive
and readily available).

If you've got a VT420 that accepts MMJ cables, then this simple phone
cable hack works perfectly.  Otherwise, you've got to get one end of the
phone cable to map out to a DB-25 or DE-9 connector.  For those in
California, Fry's Electronics is a great place to pick up connectors for
this, I imagine Radio-Shack has them as well.

I've got most of a mini-HOWTO on this together already, but I've let it
collect dust for a couple of months.  I need to cleaned it up some and
then I'll set it with the netboot HOWTO.

-brian.
---