Subject: Re: NetBSD/VAX on Tu-58 Media?
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Jacob Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/19/1998 19:16:18
Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Maybe it's me...but I just can't see an x86 "spoiling" anyone... ;)

x86 spoilage:

Go to some ratsh*t pressure-cooker place, buy some parts based on three
standards (sometimes 4 if you're lucky)..  Out of this:

AGP
PCI
ISA
IDE (yick)
SCSI

and a few more that aren't worth mentioning.  You get away with these
parts for somewhere around $800-$1200 if you're smart.  Now you go home.

Now you get your #2 phillips screwdriver, and your 3/16th nutdriver.
You put the mobo studs in with the nutdriver (you can do this with
plyers or hemostats if you're a true weenie), and toss that tool away.
Then you place all the little easy-to-manage cables around to the
drives, onto the mobo, and flip the piece of crap on.

You're home free (and maybe 1 hour into it)....

Then you get this information on a CD that says "Windows 95" on it.  You
shove it in, and it all just "works"...  (not that I didn't say it
worked well).

JS

Vaxes are a lot more rewarding.