Subject: Re: VAX 2000 installation
To: Tod Detre <apshai@bigfoot.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/08/1998 20:55:08
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Tod Detre wrote:

> Ok I just got 2 VAX 2000s. One has Ultrix and the other has VMS. I'm trying
> to install NetBSD, but not having much success. I don't have any floppy or
> tape drives. I do have access to a network, but the only other machine
> currently on the same segment is an old DECstation running Ultrix. Both
> 2000s have the expansion adapter. Is there a way to hook up more than one
> disk without an external drive bay?
>
> If anyone has any ideas on how to install NetBSD I'd appreciate it.

Check out my netbooting HOWTO if you haven't already:
http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/

I'm fairly certain that Ultrix came with its own MOP server.  And I'd
imagine it also has a bootparamd server.  If you follow through the HOWTO
you should be able to gather somewhat of an idea of at least what needs to
be setup under Ultrix in order to get netbooting working.  I don't know
that you'll be able to, but if you're determined it could be a worthwhile
thing to pursue.

I don't have access to an Ultrix system, so I'm afraid I can't help on
the specifics.

-brian.
---