Subject: Re: Problem netbooting vaxstation - addenum
To: Dudley M. Bertram <bertram@kodak.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/06/1998 14:46:48
On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Dudley M. Bertram wrote:

> Me again. Just in case it might help, I have included some extra
> information above and below the boot sequence in the hope that it will
> help with the diagnosis of the problem.

[snip]

> scsibus0 at ncr0: 8 targets
> sd0 at scsibus0 targ 3 lun 0: <DEC, RZ23     (C) DEC, 0A18> SCSI1
> 0/direct fixed
> sd0: 100MB, 776 cyl, 8 head, 33 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 204864 sectors
> sd1 at scsibus0 targ 5 lun 0: <DEC, RX23     (C) DEC, 0054> SCSI1
> 0/direct remov
> able
> sd1: drive offline
> probing for SCSI controller at 0x200c0180...
> result: 0x0 (0)
> SCSI controller found.

[looks good]

> ncr1 at vsbus0: scsi-id 7
> scsibus1 at ncr1: 8 targets
> ncr1: no REQ for next phase, abort
> ncr1: no REQ while aborting, reset
> ncr1: reset SCSI bus for TID=3 LUN=0
> ncr1: no REQ for next phase, abort
> ncr1: no REQ while aborting, reset
> ncr1: reset SCSI bus for TID=3 LUN=0

It looks like something is really unhappy with your second SCSI
controller.  Could either be a problem with the controller or some device
hanging off of it.  I'd suggest disconnecting any devices you have on the
second controller to see if it the machine boots okay.  I don't know off
the top of my head which of the two controllers acts as ncr1, but
according to the above messages it'll be the one that doesn't have a
100Meg SCSI hard drive and RX23 floppy drive connected to it.

-brian.
---