Subject: Re: DEC mouse hacks
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Oscar Oberg <Oscar.Oberg@abc.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/1998 18:01:25
On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Boris Gjenero wrote:

> You *do* need additional software.  The mouse sends bytes to the
> system.  You need some software to interpret what they mean and place
> the corresponding mouse events into an event queue.  The QDSS and QVSS
> drivers do this for a DEC mouse attached on the mouse serial port on the
> QDSS or QVSS.   Keyboard events go into the same queue.

Serial mice on PC's running Linux (and, I suspect, other systems as
well?) and XFree86 work by just using a normal serial driver and letting X
handle the rest. There should already be a driver in X, which I think is
exactly what whoever-it-was meant. In that case, I don't see any reason
either why plugging a PC mouse into the console/printer port and
reconfiguring X shouldn't work.

Oscar