Subject: Re: Help! I'vecreated a monster
To: Nigel Johnson <njohnson@ican.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/26/1998 15:14:29
On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Nigel Johnson wrote:

> Thanks to all that replied.  I had previously edited /etc/ttys to add secure
> on the console, so I couldn't figure out why it didn't work.
>
> Seth, you were right on the money!  I found two devices, /rmt12, and /rra0g
> with 0 and 0 as major/minor IDs.  I really can't figure why rra0g could be a
> terminal!
>
> Theory:  I have a G partition on my winch. It is not initialised.  Could it
> be that MAKEDEV finds it and assigns it a null ID because it can't find
> anything about it, this causing the confusion?

	MAKEDEV just blindly created the nodes with the numbers it has
	internally - what is at those devices (or if there is anything
	at all) should not make any difference.

> I don't know what an rmt12 is, but I deleted it anyway.

	Its a device node for a tape drive.

	You may want to create a clean /dev directory:

	    mkdir /devnew ; cp /dev/M* /devnew ; cd /devnew ; ./MAKEDEV
	    cd / ; mv /dev /devold ; mv /devnew dev

	The rm -rf /devold at your leisure :)