Subject: Q bus and two disk controllers.
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: P.D.Helliwell <P.D.Helliwell@e-eng.hull.ac.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/26/1998 08:41:54
Hi All

We have just been a MVII to mess about with.  We're planning to put
NetBSD on it.  We've got bits from another MVII as well so we're planning
to put two RQDX3 controllers in and four hard disks and an RX50 drive.
OK, here's the snag.  It's in a BA123 case, but we only have the manual
for the MVII in the BA23 case.  Are there any recommended places for
specific cards on the Q bus ?  In the manual it recommends putting the
RQDX3 in Q bus slot 13.  This seems a but unlikely for the BA123 as 13 is
outside the (box with the fan inside thing ..).

When we try to boot to the RX50 disk sets from the monitor prompt,
whatever we try we got "device inactive".  The two addresses on the cards
are different, well as far as the manual says they're different.  Am I
right in thinking that it treats RX50s as disks so we could boot with
something like

>>> b/3 DUA0

(controller A, disk 0) ?

Hmm, we're new to VAXen and are rapidly trying to find out more.

Thanks in Advance.

PHil (and friends).

o Phil Helliwell     Joon: You're out of you're tree. o
o Electronic Eng.        Sam: It's not my tree.       o
o University of Hull,UK     - Benny and Joon.         o
o My views are my own :*)                             o