Subject: HELP !! I've created a monster
From: Nigel Johnson <njohnson@ican.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/24/1998 08:39:33
Thanks to all the kind help I have received from the net, I now have a
brand-new installation of NetBSD running on my microvax II.

However, since I set the root password, it is just sitting there
coveting those three 300 MB ESDI disks and it won't let me in to
play!!!!!!

If I come up in single-user mode, I can run login, and it will accept
the root password.  However, as soon as I edit rc.conf to go multi-user,
all I get (after it accepts my password) is  ROOT LOGIN REFUSED AT THIS
TERMINAL!

It look to me like it suspects someone is attempting to hack th
epassword, but I am getting this on the console of a brand new system
the first time I use it.

Is there something like the VMS procedure where you have to set
nologins=no as well as setting the password the first time you use an
account?  If so I can't find any reference to it in the FAQ.

I'm sure you gurus out there have a quick fix for this problem, and a
laugh at my stupidity.

Thanks in advance,

Nigel Johnson
VE3ID