Subject: Re: Censoring the NetBSD list!
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/24/1998 16:09:21
On March 24, Rick Copeland wrote:
> I agree that once you censor one person at what point do you stop?  At this
> point in the game I personally don't know of any "game rules" setup by the
> administrators of the list (if there are any) or the server where the list
> resides. I personally think however that it would be a good thing to have
> some rules regarding the use of the list and some form of administration to
> handle problems as they may occur.  At the point that ANY individual causes
> contributors to back off from their contributions to the list results in
> loss to us all.  I have backed off from saying anything up to this point in
> time for these very reasons, however because known contributors are not
> responding or have apprehensions about responding because of what some other
> person may say or do leads me to believe that something should be done to
> control the situation!

  At what point do you stop?  When the troublemaker is gone.  It takes
an unbelievably paranoid person to confuse "getting rid of a
universally-agreed-upon troublemaker" with "censorship".

  Personally, I am VERY MUCH AGAINST censorship in any form.  But I'm
all for getting rid of this troublemaker.  I've reduced my level of
frustration by installing a simple ruleset into my .procmailrc.  It's
as simple as that.

                         -Dave McGuire
                          mcguire@neurotica.com