Subject: Re: Floppy drive?/fixing rd53s
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/23/1998 14:29:04
s<   Do you mean open the HDA?!?! Do you have a class 100 clean room

Yes.  Or was I explicit enough.

This is a time proven way to get cranky micropolus 1325s (and friends)
working as the head carriage get stuck to a rubber stop bumper.

I have three I've done major surgery on the HDAs and all still run, the
oldest is now 3 years post surgery.  Granted I've taken a little care to
keep the area clear but I severely doubt anything approaching class 100.

Though building a class 100 clean room is not that hard.  All that's
needed is a 200cfm blower, a suitable filter(HEPA) and some 6mil poly
to surround the output as a curtain.  A bench sized area would be
trivial.

The HDA has an internal filter to gather up the dusts when it spins up.

I also have a st506 that is about 15years old that I made a lucite cover
for show, it's been very reliable.  It's the difference between book and
actual practice.  At anything over 1000rpm any material on the disk
including airflow is spun to the periphery and impinges on the case or
in the case of HDAs directed through a filter.  In a factory situation
the cavity is cleaned several times during assembly and later purged with
dry N2 to minimize any dusts inside the cavity, as a practice to insure
good yeild.

<500 such particles per minute, suggesting that trying to get by without
<special facility is impossible.

Your suggesting zip/jaz drives, RA60s, RK0Xs, RM0Xs, and RL0Xs are not
possible too as they are similar technology.

Allison