Subject: Re: UNIBUS and Q-bus
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/22/1998 23:57:13
<> RLV11 and RLV12 controllers both work in q22 or Q18, the difference is
<> the RLV11 will only DMA in the lower 18bit address space.
<
<No, it's worse than that for the RLV11: it pays no attention to BBS7,
<and only decodes the 18 address lines to determine if it's registers
<are being read/written.  So the RLV11 will appear at 16 different address
<15 of them shared with memory - on a Q22 system.

I knew there was something I should have checked with on the printset.
I've use the RLV11 in q22, many years ago and only with 256k with an
11/23b so the assumptions was it behaves.  I still have the board pair
but always use the RLV12 as its 1 board and saved space and power more
than the q22 complience.  Generally the need for CD ruled out the RLV11
in most cases.  The RLV11 is a lower reliability solution and awkawrd
to use.

Either way it's one of the few that do not behave and it's failure is
consistant with not using BBS7.  In the case of a Microvax an RLV11 is
a non-solution.  Mixing Ubus and Q-bus is a pit full os snakes and is
best tackeled by those knowlegable in the history and design of both.
Which is why all my machines are Q, I have docs and expereice with them
as I've had space for them where U-bus machines would never fit.

Allison