Subject: Re: RX33/RXwhatever floppy goes into the RX end of the uV2K
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/21/1998 02:42:52
   Dear Allison,

   You wrote:
> <Is there any special mod required (BEsides a new format) to get ex-PC
> <drives to work in uVAXen?
>
> TEAC FD55G series work.  Thats a 1.2meg dual speed drive.  The jumpers
> must however be correct and deepending on model there are jumpers for
> speed select and write current and all (there are others) must be
> correct.  Sorry I don't have a list of all of them.  If the write current
> jumper is wrong write errors will be a problem even though it can read.

   What DEC calls RX33 is actually TEAC FD-55GFV-57-U. It is a standard
5.25" 96 TPI high-density (called 1.2 MB in vernacular) drive. These drives
were sold by TEAC as fully generic and could be used in IBM PC ATs, VAXen,
or anything else. The two settings that need to be set differently for IBM
PC AT vs. KA410 are the unit number and the mode. For IBM PC AT, you need
unit 1 (the jumper labeled "DS1") and mode II (the jumper labeled "II").
For KA410, you need unit 0 (the jumper labeled "DS0") and mode I (the
jumper labeled "I"). (Yes, for some weird reason TEAC calls the two-speed
mode "I" and the one-speed mode "II".) The IBM PC AT-compatible I am typing
this on has an RX33 taken from a VS2000 for its 1.2 MB floppy disk drive,
and it works great. I have changed the jumpers as described above.

   And BTW, there is no write current jumper on this or any other TEAC FDD.
I know, since I have the full jumper descriptions from TEAC, and I don't
see any jumpers on the logic board that are not in the description.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: sokolov@alpha.ces.cwru.edu