Subject: Re: Netboot from BeBox and Ultrix installation
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG, rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/1998 20:07:55
Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl> wrote:
> 1. How to make a safety backup of the install tapes (which are hopefully
> still readable). I assume the tapes consist of sequences of records
> separated by tape marks, and I'd need to know the size and the count
> of these records.

This is the exact same question I have! :-)

> 2. Will I mess up enormously if I just boot from the first tape and
> blunder along without the installation instructions?

No, this is exactly how I have got my KA42 (almost the same as KA41) running
Ultrix. I have originally tried to install v4.2, and it went fine unfit a have
hit a medium (tape) error trying to install the man pages. I went to the people
I have got the tape from to see if they had another copy, but they didn't. They
did, however, have a copy of v4.0, and I have ended up installing the man pages
from it. I now have a rather funny mix. I could have done a straight v4.0
installation, but I didn't have the patience to endure another TK50
installation. If you are lucky to have readable tapes, you won't have to go
through this.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 440-449-0299