Subject: dual cpu uvaxII recollections
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/1998 10:25:11
Hi,

  Just wondering, Rick, where did you encounter multi-CPU uVAXen?  Or are you
   basing this in the stuff in the KA630 manual?

Well, way back when I was young and foolish (about 1985-6), I actually tried
to get BSD going on one of these. I concocted a weird 4.2 kernel that lived
in the slave (ie. kernel memory on the slave's 1Mbyte) and user memory on the
master. The theory was that the slave CPU would run the processes when in
kernel mode and the master processor would run them in user land. (It was
complicated by the fact that the master processor also saw the hardware
interrupts and had to hand them off to the slave.)

I got this gismo to almost boot to the single user prompt, but never quite
made it. (My vague recollection is that it would start running init and init
would fork a shell, but the shell never quite made it.)

Anyhow, being older and wiser? now, I would definitely NOT recommend doing
this:-) rick