Subject: Re: multi CPU uvaxII
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/1998 06:27:09
> On a slightly related note, I think I've heard it discussed somewhere at
> some point about chaining VAXstations together over their SCSI busses. It
> may have been with one of the VAX/Linux people.

DSSI clustering has been done in VMSclusters for years, and SCSI clustering
has also become very poupular as of late.  I don't believe that it is supported
on VS3100-class hardware under VMS, though I don't think
it's impossible to do.

>  In the case of the
> VS3100's with dual SCSI controllers would it be possible to say take two
> machines and patch their SCSI/B (2nd) SCSI controllers together?  Then set
> up each controller with a unique SCSI ID on the shared bus.  Then you
> could build a driver for the SCSI devices to make them look like
> point-to-point network interfaces.  Basically use them for passing data
> between VAXen at "high speed".

You mean at the current 10 kByte/sec thoroughput that the NetBSD SCSI
driver gets on a 3100?

> So, is this a technically feasible abuse of SCSI?  And if so, how hard
> would it be to make driver for the SCSI devices that made them look like
> network interfaces?  AND if we could intersperse a SCSI disk drive or two
> in the chain, we might have a faster alternative to ethernet for shared
> disk storage.

For an idea of what's been doable in VMSclusters for years, do an
Altavista search for "SCSI clustering" and look at what comes up.

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)