Subject: mkfifo bug on NFS filesystems?
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/16/1998 21:44:19
I don't know if this is a bug, a feature of NFS, or if I'm just
overlooking something here, but the mkfifo shell command (and ultimately
the mkfifo system call) isn't letting me create a fifo on NFS mounted
filesystems as a normal user, even though I've write access to the
directory in which I'm trying to create the fifo.  The same operation
works fine when performed on the ffs filesystem on my RD54.  However, I
can create a fifo on NFS filesystems if I su to root.

The NFS server machine in this instance is OpenBSD/i386 2.1 (yeah yeah, I
know... At work I just don't have easy access to the same mass bandwidth
and easy transfer of bulk data to home anymore.  Otherwise I'd have that
machine loaded up with NetBSD/i386.)

I've included some basic command line stuff below to illustrate the
problem.  If necessary I can provide k(trace|dump) output as well from the
offending invocation of mkfifo.

---

 9:15pm vaxzilla [~]% df -k
 Filesystem               1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
 opy:/usr/vax/vaxzilla         745014   241667   466096    34%    /
 /dev/ra0a                      19663     8136    10543    44%    /mnt

 9:17pm vaxzilla [~]% cd /tmp

 9:17pm vaxzilla [/tmp]% ls -ld .
 drwxrwxrwt  4 root  wheel  512 Mar 16 18:01 ./

 9:17pm vaxzilla [/tmp]% mkfifo test
 mkfifo: test: Input/output error

 9:17pm vaxzilla [/tmp]% ls -l test
 ls: test: No such file or directory

---

 9:17pm vaxzilla [/tmp]% cd /mnt/temp

 9:18pm vaxzilla [/mnt/temp]% ls -ld .
 drwxrwxrwt  2 root  wheel  512 Mar 16 21:07 ./

 9:19pm vaxzilla [/mnt/temp]% mkfifo test

 9:19pm vaxzilla [/mnt/temp]% ls -l test
 prw-r--r--  1 brianc  wheel  0 Mar 16 21:19 test|

---

 9:19pm vaxzilla [/mnt/temp]% su
 Password:

 vaxzilla# cd /tmp

 vaxzilla# mkfifo test

 vaxzilla# ls -l test
 prw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Mar 16 18:12 test

---