Subject: Re: uVax-II netboot help
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/14/1998 16:49:38
On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> mopd says the load has completed, but I don't know what a SCBINT is,
> or what it's caused by... (The manual says it's an "Unexpected SCB
> exception or machine check.")  I recently yanked a tape controller and
> moved the disk controller up a slot, perhaps that broke something?

Hardware could be the cause of this.  The first thing I'd try is putting
things back the way they were, especially if this was a known working
condition.  As for your slot layout, maybe someone else on the list can
comment on whether the following is okay or not.  I don't know if it's
okay to leave the bottom half of slot three open or not.

Another approach to take would be to pull everything except the CPU, RAM,
and DEQNA (sliding it over to slot 3).  Try and see if you can get it to
boot in as minimal of a configuration as possible.

> Here's my slot layout:
> 1: KA630
> 2: 4MB ram
> 3: M9047 / empty
> 4: M3104 -- 8-port async
> 5: M7546 -- TK50 controller / M7504 -- DEQNA
> 6: M8639 -- RQDX2 disk controller

Beyond that you might double check that Q-bus bootloader you downloaded
isn't corrupt. If I run `sum' on my copy of the bootloader file, it
returns "16084 56".

-brian.
---