Subject: Switching from QDSS to serial console on a KA630
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/14/1998 11:12:37
I've just discovered a useful feature on the KA630.  Apparently, if you
send a break down the console serial line then the KA630 will switch
from using to QDSS as the console to using the serial console.  This is
a useful feature that I suspected might be there.

However, there are two problems:
- When you restart you'll get to the language enquiry menu.  The switch
or the use of the serial console must wipe out some settings.
- The kernel with QDSS support won't work in that state.  Maybe I'd need
some extra initialization in this case.  If a serial console is being
used I'll try to make the kernel not use the QDSS as the console but
still initialize it as the graphics device if a QDSS is present.

BTW.  I've now tested the standalone programs with KA630 ROM console I/O
support with the serial console.  They work.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |