Subject: Re: VS2000 graphics console questions
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/10/1998 12:03:43
On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> Are you trying to use the QDSS routines on VS2000? Is it the same
> interface to the screen? Whee, in that case you should definitely
> sync with Boris Gjenero that has fixed QDSS for MV2.
> Is it the same graphic console on VS31oo also?

Well, the monochrome VS2000 hardware wouldn't be like a QDSS, which is
colour.  However, it could be like the QVSS.  Look at this Xqdss manual
page:
http://www.mit.edu/afs/athena/system/vax_bsd43/srvd/usr/athena/man/cat1/Xqvss.1
According to it, the VS2000 SM hardware is almost identical to the QVSS
with the exception of cabling and cursor support, and the same X server
works on both.  Of course, qv.c couldn't support the VS2000 mono hardware
without changes because it has some Q-bus dependancies.  (Of course, it'd
also need other changes because it is still a 4.3BSD driver.)

I'm right now looking through qv.c.  Apparently there aren't that many
Q-bus dependancies, and they should be easy to get rid of.  There isn't
anything like DMA there... it's just some mappings.  The whole device is
kind of dumb too (even scroll with bcopy), and that means it isn't twisted
like QDSS.

I'm also wondering about the serial ports.  AFAIK, they are DZ-11 like on
the VS2000 while it appears that the QVSS uses some different UARTs.

In any case, if it is possible it'd probably be a good idea to have a
QVSS-like interface on the VS2000 drivers for running X.

|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |
|  "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to   |
|  depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, ROTJ  |