Subject: VS2000 graphics console questions
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan Schepers <nscheper@smyrno.foundation.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/09/1998 23:05:08
Hello all,

	Well, as a diversion from schoolwork, I have been playing with the
VS2000's mono video stuff, and have something which almost (well, not
really) behaves like a graphics console.  I have a question,
though, because I've never really done anything like this before.

	All I've done so far is to put some graphics console stuff into
the dzcnputc() call in dzcons.c.  What I do is write the character passed
to dzcnputc() to video memory in the right place (& deal with scrolling
and BackSpace, etc). I'm still using my VT220 as a terminal, of course,
but now I get nice big letters on my monitor as well. (Well, they're not
that big.  I guess I'm getting fairly small letters on my nice big monitor
...)

	The problem is this:  if I try to map too much of the video
memory (a little past half, I think), I get a kernel panic with

kmem_suballoc: bad status return of 3.
panic: kmem_suballoc

	What, exactly, is a 'bad status return of 3'?

Okay ... that's it, time to start playing with LK201 stuff now. (well,
it's either that or Calculus)

Thanks,
Nathan Schepers
(ascheper@wincom.net)