Subject: VaxServer 3100's looking for a good home! (fwd)
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/09/1998 18:24:59
Rescue us!!!!...

-brian.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:29:32 -0500
From: Tony Harris <tony.harris@ccvtest.ccv.vsc.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: VaxServer 3100's looking for a good home!

Hello all,

We have several (currently 6, more to come) VaxServer 3100's that
we have retired from service.  They had been doing Macintosh file serving,
for the last 5 years and have been replaced with NT boxes.

Our current options are either 1) find them a good home, 2) send them
to State Surplus Equipment, or 3) throw them out.

I can offer them FREE to anyone who wants them, PROVIDED you
arrange to either pick them up or have them shipped to you at no
cost to us.

Also available are a couple of Storage Expansion units for these boxes,
a few VT320's, and 3 TLZ04 tape drives.

The 3100's are rather minimally configured, nothing beyond the base
memory (8MB? maybe 16MB?) and a relatively small hard drive
(250MB?).  I'm not primarily a Vax person, so I'm not sure what other
information anyone might need, but feel free to ask.

These machines do work.  They came out of service between September
and now, and were under DEC service agreements until June 30th, 1997.
We intended to donate them to a sister college, who later decided they
didn't want them, and we tried a used equipment dealer who didn't want
them either.

If anyone's interested, please reply to me by email.  If we don't get rid
of them by the end of next week, the whole lot goes to State Surplus.

Tony Harris
Network Administrator
Community College of Vermont
harrist@mail.ccv.vsc.edu