Subject: Kernel and Sources
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buck_c@polygon.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/09/1998 16:28:32
Whoo hoo - first try, I actually build a kernel with no errors. And it only took 8 hours on my uVII.
Funny thing is, after the regular install and SYSSRC were all in place, I had to mount my ra1
(second RD54) as /usr/src. Only way I had room. Sigh. Where's that user-designed SCSI card, guys?

ANYWAY:
Q1: I want to trim down the sources I'm using - I don't intend on cross-compiling (on this
platform), can I kill off all of the /usr/src/sys/arch/* directories (exceping, of course, vax)?
Q2: I want to use this machine to dial my ISP, who will be routing me a 16-ip subnet. How can I use
the vax as a gateway? I see the option in the configfile, I also see it in rc.conf, but when I do
man gated or the like, I get nothing. Will routed, if the kernel is compiled with option gateway,
act as a gateway?
Q3: Per Q2, are there detailed (or even general) instructions anywhere on setting up PPP and routed?

Q4: As the DELQA is a relitively slow ethernet card, I was wondering: Does anyone know how fast a
DENLI is? I happen to have two DELQA cards and a DELNI - I wonder if there is a way to do
load-balancing. Of course, this isn't going to be much of a factor most of the time.
Q4a: Does anyone have the switch info for DELQA? As I said, I have two, but they're both set for
first card. What would the correct settings be for a second?

Any and all A# appreciated vastly.
--
J. Buck Caldwell

               Engineer - Technical Support - Webmaster
Polygon, Inc.         email:buck_c@polygon.com   phone: (314) 432-4142
PO Box 8470            http://www.polygon.com/     fax: (314) 997-9696
St. Louis, MO 63132     ftp://ftp.polygon.com/     bbs: (314) 997-9682