Subject: Re: UNIBUS and Q-bus
To: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.EDU>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/01/1998 17:33:53
> other differences. What I'm thinking about is that I may have to play with
> some UNIBUS cards, and I don't have a UNIBUS system. I know that the
> backplane slots for the two are mechanically the same, and I'm wondering
> how great is the difference in the finger assignments.

The differences are large enough that at best, the resulting system
doesn't work.  More likely is that you'll let the magic smoke out of
lots of chips, and it's entirely possible for the machine to burst into
flames.  (Yes, I've seen all the above happen.)

> Could it be
> feasible to make a UNIBUS to Q22-bus adapter?

Absolutely.  Call Able Computer Technology at 714-979-7893 and tell them
you want to buy a Quniverter.  Note that you'll also need a Unibus backplane
in addition to the Quniverter card.

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)