Subject: I have QDSS working as console
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/28/1998 16:02:36
So far I've gotten the QDSS initialization and console part to work.
This means that the QDSS now works as the console (both during boot and
as a device later) and it can be initialized.  There still must be some
problems because telnet locks it up but otherwise the console seems
quite solid.

The bitmapped graphics device support is in there also, but that isn't
operational yet (use of that device causes a Segv in kernel mode).  This
part is a bit more complicated, but I'll be working on it.

I'm putting up my latest compiled kernel at:
http://www.mnsi.net/~bgjenero/netbsd.qdcn.gz
This is a kernel for a MicroVAX II with qdss.  I'm putting it there so
anybody who's interested could play with it.  Play at your own risk.  It
is not extensively tested, so I don't think you should actually use it
during normal operation.

BTW.  I have two complaints:
1.  boot should use the ROM routines.  Right now it uses the serial
console, and anybody running with a graphical console will have a
problem.

2.  ubastray was lying about vector numbers.  It said vector zero, but
really wasn't vector zero.  Looking at the code in uba.c I have a
suspicion that the printf will only work right on a 780.  However, the
fix is simple.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |