Subject: Re: TK50Z
To: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.EDU>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/24/1998 13:48:23
> > That concept is a fantasy in your mind only.  There is no blocking I know
>                                                                      ^^^^^^
> > of save for unimplemented/undocumented capability.
>   ^^
>
>    Therein lies the rub. :-) I'm _SURE_ that the same driver could be used
> for NCR 5380 on both KA410 and KA42/41.

The "same" driver?  I don't think that word means what you think it means.

> The DMA differences can be handled
> at a lower level.

Conceptually, yes.  But there's a long way between a "conceptual" design
and a real device driver

> I'm also sure that at least in VMS there is no easy way
> to enable this driver on KA410.

Again, I'm not sure what you mean by "easy".  If you bought the VS2000
SCSI adapter and driver from Trimarchi, it's a five minute operation
and doesn't even require a reboot after software installation (device
drivers in VMS are loadable.)  If you're talking about enabling some
mythical DEC VMS driver that's there but somehow disabled, I'd like to remind
you that this driver is indeed not there.

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)