Subject: Re: TK50Z
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/24/1998 11:02:29
   Dear Allison,

> That concept is a fantasy in your mind only.  There is no blocking I know
                                                                     ^^^^^^
> of save for unimplemented/undocumented capability.
  ^^

   Therein lies the rub. :-) I'm _SURE_ that the same driver could be used
for NCR 5380 on both KA410 and KA42/41. The DMA differences can be handled
at a lower level. I'm also sure that at least in VMS there is no easy way
to enable this driver on KA410. In Jim Agnew's MicroVAX FAQ there are lots
of articles asserting that either KA410 has no SCSI whatsoever, or that the
SCSI port is completely different from that on any other system, or that
the driver for generic SCSI on KA410 exists only within the walls of DEC.
Of course that driver is right under their noses, in both VMS and Ultrix,
since both OSes run on KA42/41 which uses this driver (remember, the
hardware is identical). Your experience with Ultrix suggests that at least
in Ultrix this driver is easy to enable. Apparently in VMS it's hidden
deeper or blocked more securely, otherwise those people would have found
it. And since they are closed-minded VMSers, they view a limitation of VMS
as a limitation of the VAX.

> Found it (config) and it's not text.

   You have found the config(8) program itself, while I was asking for the
file that you give it as input (whose name you specify on its command
line).

> The basic config is root, swap and dump on ra0 and rz0 was usra.
> I've long since put the scsi drive in my 3100(inited for vms use).

   If your /usr is gone, you probably won't find the config file since /sys
is a symlink to /usr/src/sys, which is gone. Oh well, when I finally have
my hardware set up I'll install Ultrix myself and play with it.

> According to my installation docs(I do not
> have full ultrix docs) [...]

   I don't have any docs at all (except the list of differences between
v3.0 and v3.1, which is not that useful). But hey, Ultrix is essentially
BSD UNIX. A general BSD UNIX background and a copy of Ultrix to play with
should be enough to figure it out.

> [...] there is no difference between a VS2k and a MV-II
> system for any indication.  I do not see anything that says you can't do
> it.  It does know of a scsi device at x200c0080.

   I'll continue this discussion when I have an Ultrix installation in
front of me.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299