Subject: Re: TK50Z
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/24/1998 09:47:09
<   Non-standard cabling is always fun, isn't it? :-)

Trivial problem I make them as I need them.  I'd rather a smaller box
with two drives inside though. Two 5.25"(half height) or 3.5"MFM drives
would do that.

<   Writing any driver for a VAX is real work. At the very least you have
<learn VAX programming. You'll do it if your job depends on it (my case, t

I'd do it for VMS as I have access to docs and some experience.

I put the SCSI disk on as an experiment and it worked, maybe it's native.

<from has found the secret as to how to remove the artificial blocking.

That concept is a fantasy in your mind only.  There is no blocking I know
of save for unimplemented/undocumented capability.

<   It would be really helpful if you could locate the kernel config file
<for the kernel you are running. It should be somewhere like /sys/conf or
</sys/vax/conf.

Found it (config) and it's not text.  It's been so long since I last ran
it, error corrections, it's Ultrix 4.2 (I have 4.3 on another unmounted
drive).  The basic config is root, swap and dump on ra0 and rz0 was usra.
I've long since put the scsi drive in my 3100(inited for vms use).
Since the disk(rd53) lacks several items (manpages, YP, ?) there are items
missing for me to look at.  According to my installation docs(I do not
have full ultrix docs) there is no difference between a VS2k and a MV-II
system for any indication.  I do not see anything that says you can't do
it.  It does know of a scsi device at x200c0080.

Allison