Subject: Re: Precompiled vax packages anyone?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/23/1998 22:10:12
   Zach <zach@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:
> Oh Oh. Let me! This is an RTFM problem (of sorts!)

   No, it isn't. It would be if I were an active SunOS user, but I'm not.
The fact that the system that I currently use for my E-mail happens to be a
SunOS/Solaris mix doesn't make me an active SunOS or Solaris user. As for
reading the full manual, I don't have any SunOS documentation whatsoever. I
don't have a Sun machine myself and probably never will, so there is no
reason to expect me to be a SunOS expert. The question I have asked you was
a plain curiosity one. I don't plan on borrowing any code from SunOS, so
none of my work DEPENDS on the answer to that question, although it's
useful to know.

   (Well, I may be borrowing code from SunOS indirectly, since (I have
verified this) the NFS implementation in HPBSD 1.x is the Sun one (and yes,
it does require a license). But in this case what matters is not whether
SunOS uses VFS or not, but whether HPBSD 1.x does (I don't know this yet).)

> The vfs *layer* is an abstraction of all filesystems, which then go
> under it, and the vnode is in a sense an abstraction of the inode. You
> won't find a disk with vfs *on* it, it's a kernel thing.

   I know this. All I was asking is whether SunOS uses it or not. Now I see
that it does. Thanks for the answer.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299