Subject: Re: TK50Z
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/23/1998 22:09:04
   Dear Allison,

   I'm not arguing about commercial software. Everyone chooses for
himself/herself whether he/she wants software that's costly, backwards, but
company-supported or software that's free, progressive, but self-supported.

> However there is no scsi driver for that particular port
> as it's not the same as the scsi port on say a 3100(different DMA I
> think).

   I strongly believe that it IS the same port and that the DMA differences
could be handled at a lower (ka<xxx>.c) level as they are for the HDC9224
which exists on both KA410 and some KA42 systems but is certainly (I'm 99%
sure) supported by the same driver on both. I will know for sure when I
read the relevant technical manuals and play with Ultrix.

> Not having a scsi boot is about as close to your "artifical feature
> blocking" as it gets.

   Not sure about this, will see.

> Until such time as that has been done, it is encumbered and unavailable.

   I'll tell you as soon as I hear back from SCO.

> In the mean time I'll tell the prodisk-105S plugged into the RD53
> equipped VS2k running ultrix it's not supposed to work.

   Is that a SCSI disk? How do you have it configured in Ultrix? Did you
write your own driver, use some DEC-confidential code, or simply play with
the kernel config file?

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299