Subject: Re: Precompiled vax packages anyone?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/22/1998 13:32:50
   Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE> wrote:
> For someone so utterly ignorant, you sure have a lot of attitudes.

   I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that "ignorant" means more of
"unwilling to learn" than "not knowing". My questions should suggest the
opposite to you.

> The filesystem is slow [...]

   Well, 4.4BSD's filesystem changes are probably an improvement, but is it
really that noticeable? Also don't forget that there is a difference
between 4.2BSD/4.3BSD and 4.3BSD-Tahoe/4.3BSD-Reno, although it isn't as
radical as the one between the latter and 4.4BSD and doesn't break the boot
program. I don't know what vintage is used in Ultrix, and it may differ
from one version to another. I will certainly use the 4.3BSD-Tahoe/4.3BSD-
Reno vintage in my work.

> [...] system crashes from time to time. Buggy systems never are nice.

   I would say this about NetBSD.

> Sure, it's very much BSD4.2, but who wants BSD4.2???

   It is incorrect to classify Ultrix as 4.2BSD. The networking subsystem
in 4.2BSD is premature and it's solidified only in 4.3BSD. I'm sure that
Ultrix includes all 4.3BSD networking improvements. There are some 4.2BSD
oddities in it, like having to specify "pseudo-device inet" in the kernel
config file, but I think that it's the set of features that matters, not
the config file format.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299