Subject: Re: Retrocomputing, VAXen, and NetBSD
To: Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate! 20-Feb-1998 0841 +0000 <carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com>
From: David Heller <dmheller@frontiernet.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/20/1998 23:31:40
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate! 20-Feb-1998 0841 +0000 wrote:

> "arno@ixe.net" "Arno Griffioen" wrote:
>
> > Perhaps another project? Next to the QBUS IDE controller?
>
> That reminds me - yesterday I came across an IDE interface for
> the Commodore 64! So the Q-bus IDE implementation is clearly long overdue!!
>
> On the subject of soundcards, the VMS Device Drivers course in Reading used to
> involve writing a driver for a home-brew(?) Q-bus sound device based on one of
> the many AY sound chips. So sound has been done already :-)
>
> Antonio
>
> Antonio Carlini                            Mail: carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com
> DECnet-Plus for OpenVMS Engineering
> Digital Equipment Corporation              Worton Grange, Reading, England

     Perhaps instead of IDE controller card a SCSI to IDE converter ?
      They are plenty of surplus SCSI cards available at reasonable prices and
they are compatible
     with MSCP however an IDE controller card made homebrew with the ability to
talk MSCP
      would not be an easy task. certainly not as easy as a bus converter.  This
way you can
      have SCSI and IDE and it would work with any OS. By the way disregard my
previous
      posting I hit the send button prematurely.

       David