Subject: Re: Retrocomputing, VAXen, and NetBSD
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/20/1998 06:26:13
> <> S3 Virge, etc) for a Vax...  How could I play my mp3's? :)
> <
> <We could lobby Creative Labs to start making Qbus SoundBlasters?
>
> Ah, It so happens I have something along that line...sorta.  A genuine
> DEC Gigilo sound card.  It's Qbus based on a pair of GI8913 sound chips.
> It's sufficiently unusual that there are no 50/54 class numbers (96- and
> EY- instead) so it was a special for training or demos most likely.
>
> Yes, I have a PDP-11 that plays music as a result. Being Q-bus it would
> work in a microvax.  I mention it as there are odd things out there.

Cute!  It seems like decades ago (heck - it was) that I was hooking
up an amplifier and a speaker to D/A converters on Unibus -11's.

Heck - I've got a Matrox QRGB video card here for the Q-bus.  Calling up
Matrox and asking for technical documentation on this card was almost - but
not quite - as flabbergasting as calling Microsoft a couple of
years back and asking about the latest version of BASIC-80.

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)