Subject: Re: 3100, console driver/ serial console usage
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@gummo.bbb.sub.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/19/1998 16:25:43
> <There exists a (buggy) driver for the NCR5380 which was "ported" from
> <the sun3 driver. This driver has some problems related to the DMA system
>
> Therin lies the problem.  the code isn't buggy, just wrong.  The DMA
> system in the Sun3 is likely very different from the 3100.  Obviously
> there were other changes made as I can't see it working at all.

Sorry if my statement was misleading.
I didn't want to intend the sun3 driver being buggy.
What I wanted to say is:

I took the sun3 port's ncr driver and modified the code which interacts
with the DMA subsystem to work with 2000 and 3100/76. These modifications
are buggy (and/or wrong). Parts of the problems stem from DMA on 2000 and
3100/76 being quite different, and maybe it was not a good idea to try to
integrate both into one driver.

Ciao,
	bertram

PS: If anybody is interested, I could write down some remarks about
    what I did and why I did it that way. Might be of some interest
    if anybody thinks about repairing this driver. Might be irrelevant
    if the driver is rewritten from scratch...