Subject: Generic kernel + VS2000 SCSI Question
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Seth J. Morabito <sethm@loomcom.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/18/1998 14:22:21
[NOTE :)  This post is completely free of flames and long-winded
 discussions about VS2000 SCSI, which has been talked _to_death_.
 It's just a technical question :)  Thanks... ]

Hi everyone,

I have a VAXStation 2000 (KA410), and would like to use an external SCSI
disk for NetBSD.

I understand that vax/NetBSD supports SCSI-1 disks, and I have a Fujitsu
SCSI-1 disk that I intend to use.

The only problem is that the Generic kernel doesn't seem to recognise
the SCSI at all.  Whether I have just a plain vanilla TK50Z-FA attached
to the external SCSI port, or a disk, I still get the same boot-message:

[...]
  probing for SCSI controller at 0x200c0080...
  result: 0xffffffff (-1)
  unexpected/strange result 0x0 during probe.
  probing for SCSI controller at 0x200c0080...
  result: 0xffffffff (-1)
  unexpected/strange result 0x0 during probe.
  device ncr at vsbus0 unsupported
[...]

Sometimes the result is 0xffffff00 (-256).  Either way, it doesn't seem
to find a SCSI device.

Doing a '>>> T 50' or a '>>> T 6' reveals no problems.  The console ROM
seems very happy with the hardware.  I can even make the SCSI disk spin
up when I do a '>>> T 6'.  (It's cute and somewhat sad looking to see
its little access light blip like that... maybe I'm just too attached
to my computers :-)

Have I overlooked something stupid?  Does the Generic kernel not support
the VS2000 SCSI for disks?  Why wouldn't it see a TK50Z-FA?  Is the cable
possibly too long to make the kernel happy? (it's a 6-foot cable...
pretty much on the long-ish side, I know. But nothing else is on the SCSI
chain, and I've never had trouble with it on other hardware.)

Thanks for any help,

-Seth Morabito