Subject: Re: Retrocomputing, VAXen, and NetBSD
To: Ben Ketcham <bketcham@anvilite.murkworks.NET>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/17/1998 19:49:24
> Excepts from <http://sclwww.scl.cwru.edu/~mxs46/retro1.txt>:
> Is it considered impolite to ask a person's age on Usenet?

I'm very reminded of Danny Drucker.  Don't tell me I'm the only one
who remembers his introduction to Usenet (or, Usenet's introduction
to Danny Drucker!)  Danny's first .sig proclaimed him to be a
"14-year-old network wizard".  This lasted about a week while we
had great fun tearing his lack of knowledge apart.  Then Danny became
the "14-year-old Lisp and C wizard".  This was almost as much fun!  Danny's
bizarrely high opinions of himself, and the strange way he flaunted them in
the face of overwhelming expertise by others, was on par with a good Ludwig
Plutonium rant.

Fortunately, Danny quickly absorbed the clues that were flung at him
and became a well-adapted member of the Usenet community.  If only
everyone were as capable of learning to play well with others...

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)