Subject: Re: Does NetBSD use the hardware clock differently?
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/1998 09:57:01

> I have the same problem on two KA410s and I've done some experimenting.
> VMS reads the correct time on both even after a 12 hour power off.
> NetBSD gets the time and date right, but never the year, even if I
> reboot without powering off:

I've heard that the clock chip can be a little bit flakey, but it
works fine on my MVII so I can't tell.

> [...]
> Clock has lost 10207 day(s) - CHECK AND RESET THE DATE.
> root file system type: nfs
> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
> Terminal type? vt220
> # date
> Mon Feb 16 03:08:24 CET 1970
> #
>

> See? The date and time is 100% correct (I know, I should be in bed ;-),
> but the year is 28 years off.

This looks like the year register gets zeroed, or is read zero, or something.
I don't have a clue about this, but remember something that was even worse
with the TOD register on 11/750: When the rechargeable batteries got too
old, the TODR stopped counting even when power was turned on (!). A result
of this was that the machine got hanging during autoconfiguration; the DELAY()
loop was depending of the realtime clock.

-- Ragge