Subject: Re: X?
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/1998 13:38:23
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Boris Gjenero wrote:

> David Burrows wrote:
> >
> > Hi there.. Please excuse the following fit of ignorance. :)
> >
> > Is there an X server for NetBSD/Vax?  That way I wouldn't need console
> > text support as much as I could just use xterms. :)
>
> Well, you can have an X server, but probably not what you were looking
> for.  There is no support for actual display hardware.  The only server
> I compiled was Xprt, though you could probably compile Xnest or Xvfb.  I
> suppose you could run Xprt and have a hardcopy X terminal or something.
> :-)

Aah yes.. What I really want is an X Client like XFree.. All it needs is
support for the VS3100 video controller.. (And I say that like its an easy
task) :P

> BTW.  As a matter of fact at this very moment I'm working on the QDSS
> driver.  This is going slowly because there's school and other things to
> do.

What is QDSS? :)

> > How about other OS/s, as far as I know this thing (VS3100) will only run
> > VMS and Ultrix, which I'm told are fairly well umm crap. :)
>
> It would probably also run Athena-4.3BSD.

What is this?  Where can I get info on it?

On an unrelated note.. I was thinking of sticking on Ultrix for something
to do, or maybe check out how the Linux/Vax guys are going.  (Pretty
poorly from what I gathered) :)

Dave.