Subject: Re: X?
To: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/15/1998 22:00:54
On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, David Burrows wrote:

> > > Is there an X server for NetBSD/Vax?  That way I wouldn't need console
> > > text support as much as I could just use xterms. :)
> >
> > Well, you can have an X server, but probably not what you were looking
> > for.  There is no support for actual display hardware.  The only server
> > I compiled was Xprt, though you could probably compile Xnest or Xvfb.  I
> > suppose you could run Xprt and have a hardcopy X terminal or something.
> > :-)
>
> Aah yes.. What I really want is an X Client like XFree.. All it needs is
> support for the VS3100 video controller.. (And I say that like its an easy
> task) :P

	For reference: an 'X server' is a program that manages the
	display hardware and input devices. Other programs (clients),
	such as xterms, window managers, x-editors, games, etc connect
	to it.

	We now have all the X11R6 clients compiled up (Thanks to Boris!
	:), as as he says he is working on the graphics hardware driver.

> > BTW.  As a matter of fact at this very moment I'm working on the QDSS
> > driver.  This is going slowly because there's school and other things to
> > do.
>
> What is QDSS? :)

	Its the graphics hardware used in the VaxStationII, also known as
	a VCB02. Should be usable in any q-bus vax... I dont know how this
	related to vaxstation 2000 and 3100 graphics hardware.

http://www.netbsd.org/Library/Hardware/Machines/DEC/vax/cards.html#cards:vcb02

> > > How about other OS/s, as far as I know this thing (VS3100) will only run
> > > VMS and Ultrix, which I'm told are fairly well umm crap. :)
> >
> > It would probably also run Athena-4.3BSD.
>
> What is this?  Where can I get info on it?

	Pass, though its drivers for the QDSS might prove useful reference
	for someone writing similar for NetBSD :)

> On an unrelated note.. I was thinking of sticking on Ultrix for something
> to do, or maybe check out how the Linux/Vax guys are going.  (Pretty
> poorly from what I gathered) :)

		David/absolute

      "I may not always say what I mean, but I usually mean what I say."