Subject: The problem is it doesn't boot anymore!
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <zach@acsu.buffalo.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/13/1998 15:26:18
Well, I've run into a new problem with my uVaxII, one I
haven't seen before, and has just begun as of Wed night.

I've been playing with populating a drive for /root, and was 99%
complete with what I was trying to do. If you must know, it's an RD31
(20M).  I've got the rear halt switch set to halt. I tend to keep it
there. From single-user mode I ran halt to bring it down and pressed
break. Done that 1000 times before. This time when I went to reboot
(b/7) it sat there. It sat there for a long time. On occasion it's
taken a few extra seconds to reset, but now it's obvious it just ain't
comming back.

So I hit the reset, it counted down from it's 7 to 3, gave me >>> where
I b/7 and again it sits there. Again it sits there for a long time.  I
got fed up and turned it off.

This morning before powering it on I grabbed the chassis (grounding
myself to it) and then I wiggled the last 3 cards. It's all the same,
no response.

It's config: cpu board, 2 4M memory boards, a quad width 4 port mux
board (I can never remember the names, and I was told it like 3 weeks ago!),
the tk50 controller, an rqdx3 and an rqdxe. 2 bays: tk50 and RD31.
Externally, attached but powered off is the expansion bay and another RD31.

It's not like I touched anything (no change to the backplane config),
the machine had been up single-user several times, this time for like 3
hours, the vt220 sits on a nearby table (so it's not like it was static
from me) it just doesn't want to boot now.

I've tried the tk50, but it's the same. It never counts down.
(2 is what... Searching for bootable devices?
 1 would be configuring chosen device?
 0 would be reading bootblock?)

Does this mean I (once again) have to start yanking cards,
re-configuring?  (back down to a cpu and rqdx3 again? Wish I had grant
cards. Ugh.)

Thanks

Zach