Subject: Re: 3100, console driver/ serial console usage
To: Jacob H. Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
From: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/13/1998 14:13:50
On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Jacob H. Suter wrote:

> > X would be the ultimate to get working, but first things first.. Why can't
> > the text routines on the ROM chip be utilised with NetBSD?  Ragge? Anyone?
> > :)
>
> It may be a bit more simple to support the graphic console with X rather
> than trying to run/emulate "ROM" text mode.  Doesn't the Decstation 3100
> have X support?

Actually I'm not too sure about whether the VS3100 will run X in NetBSD.
I'd assume DEC Unix would have support for text output on the graphic
console.  I'm not sure whether it is a very fiddly hack, or just a trivial
change to get it to work.  All the code to emulate the text is on ROM
isn't it?

Dave.