Subject: Re: Webservers on VAXen
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.COM>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/10/1998 08:22:22
> <  A T1 isn't *that* much bandwidth.  I doubt a 3100 would have much
> <trouble hosing one.
>
> The limitations of NFS and PIO are significant so I'd say it could at
> best keep one moderately busy.  It's not the 3100 in that case.

I agree.  My PC (Personal VMS Cluster) consists of several 3100-30's
and 3100-38's, and each of them are capable of over 1 Mbyte/second
to local SCSI disks and nearly 1 Mbyte/second in intra-cluster transfers.
The hardware - when driven by well-honed software - is capable of quite
decent performance.

Once we finally get past the performance limitations inherent to the
current NetBSD drivers there's no reason why NetBSD shouldn't
be able to do as well.

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)