Subject: Re: Webservers on VAXen
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/10/1998 08:04:45
<  A T1 isn't *that* much bandwidth.  I doubt a 3100 would have much
<trouble hosing one.

The limitations of NFS and PIO are significant so I'd say it could at
best keep one moderately busy.  It's not the 3100 in that case.
Experience with a MV-II running VMS5.4 as a routing node to a T1 was it
could keep up with the pipe so a 3100 could most likely can.

Suggestion, if you are running NFS even a small disk with PIO as swap
and root might be far better.  The logic behind that is two small pipes
are better than one small pipe.  Eithernet is not as fat a pipe as
some would imagine.  I'd describe eithernet as nearly as fast as a
MFM disk.  Also I have experience with mopbooted vs2ks (vms) and even
a sluggy rd32 is better than swapping over the eithernet.  I'd be quick
to mention that the combo is not near as good as a vs2k with RD53/54
running(vms), swaping locally and doing the rest over the net was far
better.  I'd expect the same for netbsd.

An aside. Any tuning done to the PIO driver to do as little as double
the data rate would go far in making it more useful.  A hybrid driver
that only uses DMA to a local cache (say 256k) would also do better.

Allison

Allison