Subject: Re: Webservers on VAXen
To: Jacob Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/10/1998 01:06:26
On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Jacob Suter wrote:

> watching trafshow on my rather quiet 10base2 net (my mom's win95 box, my
> win95 box, my VS3100, routed through a 5x86/133 FreeBSD box on a PCI
> NE2000) could rarely beat more than 85k/sec out of NFS.  NFS I assume is
> pretty clean code, and I know uranus (the FreeBSD router box, also the
> NFS server for the boot) can pump a LOT more nfs than that.

	NFS is a pretty enefficient prototcol - UDP and generally sync
	writes make is a very sluggish performer in comparison to TCP/IP
	streams.

> My VS3100m30's can only get 27-30k/sec off the PIO kernel, which ensures
> the fact it couldn't saturate much of anything.  Though I did run a
> small page with the htdocs off the hard drive, which ran rather fast,
> but it wasn't much of a page and was prolly cached...

	I would expect a webserver running on a VS3100 with DMA kernel to
	be able to saturate a T1 - dependant on the type of traffic of
	course :)

		David/absolute

   _.oXo._   Too complex to explain, too simplistic to admit.   _.oXo._