Subject: Re: Question on booting VS3100M76
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/09/1998 17:39:55
>    Dave's rant:
>
> 	Is it not loading the kernel at all? (Apologies if you've
> 	mentioned this before - I've been somewhat buried emailwise).
>
> 	Could you recap your situation - can you netboot the PIO kernel
> 	and disklabel your disk OK?

	I have done the following sucessfully:

* Set up a 486 box w/ NetBSD 1.3
* Configured the files necessary for bootserving
* Booted the VS3100 from the server using the 1.2G, 1.3 and 1.3 PIO strains
* disklabel'd all hard drives.
  /dev/sd0 rz24e
  /dev/sd1 rz24e
  /dev/sd2 seagate/imprimis/cdc st41200n 1931/15/70
* wrote the low boot code to /dev/sd0a
* copied 'boot' (high boot code) to / on sd0a
* copied the PIO kernel to / on sd0a
* ran 'set bflg 3' in the boot monitor
* No saerror 2 problems (low boot sees and loads high boot)

	The problem is when I tell boot to load the kernel in a PIO
fashion 'rom()netbsd', it's like the kernel is not even there. Yer if I
try to boot it in a DMA fashion, it will proceed and give me the c8's of
death whether I set it for dka0 or dka100.

P.S.A