Subject: Re: Installation question
To: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.EDU>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/08/1998 19:18:06
> Thomas S. Traylor <ttraylor@titan.mcit.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone installed NetBSD on a system that has RF disks and a KFQSA
> > controller?
>
> I see no reason why should KFQSA disks be different from any other MSCP disks.

They are different, in several ways:

1.  The KFQSA needs to be issued MSCP commands to configure it.  NetBSD
    does not have such a configuration utility,  This isn't necessary
    if it has been configured under VMS for the configuration it'll
    be used under NetBSD.

2.  The "controller ID" codes on a KFQSA work differently than any other
    MSCP controller.  At the end of step 4 initialization, it reports
    21.as the ID byte.  Later on, after initialization, it will report
    96.,  97., or whatever is appropriate for the disk it is configured
    for.

For a list of MSCP controller ID codes, and more information about the
KFQSA, see the source to "DUSTAT.MAC" that I posted to vmsnet.pdp-11 at
the end of January.

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)